Monday, June 8, 2009

Boiled eggs




I've been wanting to try this stinky project for a while. :) I found some info online about oxidizing my Sterling silver jewelry naturally with boiled eggs instead of harsh
chemicals. The results were successful. I made some earrings with some large black Labradorite tear drop stones wrapped in a simple sterling silver wire setting. All I had to do was boil an egg, crack and peel it and then chop it up. I placed it in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid along with my earrings. The eggs need to be hot. I I left them for about 15-20 minutes and took them out. They were changing color already but, I wanted them darker. I removed the earrings, and placed the container with eggs in the microwave for about 15 secs(depends on the power of your micro wave) I put the earring back in, gave it a little shake and covered them back up. I did this a couple of times until I got the results I wanted. The silver turned a pretty blueish black, almost a gun metal color.

No comments:

Post a Comment